It's Time for the Vacillator!

Monday, March 05, 2007

In attempts to move away from my latest self-pitying, emotional, and redundant postings, I will start with the trivial: namely, the bullshit line Proenza Schouler produced for everyone's favorite thrifty store, Target.

I am a skeptic voyeur when it comes to high end fashion. I've said this repeatedly. I see its value but I also see its ridiculousness. However, if I won the mothafuckinlottery, I sure would purchase a Fendi and a Gucci bag, and buy one for my girl SassyJ to boot! So, I've always taken interest in the very low end lines big name designers have produced for stores like Target and H & M (I still treasure my Karl Lagerfeld (Chanel) designed silver bracelet that was less than twenty dollars even though it's slowly turning from silver to copper. I think I missed Stella McCartney's line, and I really can't recall who came after her (can anyone help me out?) My memory is shit right now, because I can't remember the last Go! designer for Target, either. Sigh.

Anyway, Proenza Schouler is a two-man team based in NYC. The average price for their high end shirts, skirts, pants, etc is right around $1000. I thought that they would come up with something cool for Target. I waited impatiently. I even thought of going to Target the first day or weekend their line arrived--I really thought the clothes would be fantastic and worth their $35 average price.

Holy shit--I was so disappointed when I saw the ads in my Lucky and Vogue magazines. I saw one, maybe two things I *might* try on. Here they are:

1. Okay, there's no longer an image for the "silk bustier top" but you can see it in the "looks" section. It was a teal combined with navy type color, silk, of course, sleaveless, padded looking boob section reminiscent of Madonna somehow. Pretty fashionable. But still, *not that great.*

2.
I liked the color of this shirt, but it's so shapeless and boyish. Only the rare, rail-thin, waify yet tomboyish yet still sexy girlie can wear something like this and look hot.

I thought that I might see something else I liked when I finally viewed the collection in the store.

There were some pants:



and



(ew! what was i thinking)

With a flourish, I grabbed these two pairs of pants and headed towards the fitting rooms. Then I stopped. I asked myself, "Woud you REALLY pay $35.00 for either of these pairs of pants? They might be PS, but the quality is SO poor. All of the shirts look shabbier than the vintage stuff you used to be able to find in thrift stores....you have so many pairs of pants...put them back. Put.Them.Back."

And so they went, back on the rack. The whole line is so incredibly lame. Striped tops, conservative cardigans, shapeless dresses, boring colors and cuts. I have to wonder: did they run out of time? Were they on a very strict budget? I suppose I could research these questions. In any case, it took me a few weeks, but in the end, I'm glad I could finally just admit to myself that the Proenza Schouler line at Target is complete shit.

Now, their regular line...I would totally sport this:



or this



(that would look cuter on me, sans the hat).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home