It's Time for the Vacillator!

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Banning the "N" word
I was listening to that writer from MJS, Eugene Kane, talk about banning the "n" word in public schools this morning on the Idea network (somewhat different from NPR, and their stories seem more interesting from what I've heard--90.7). He came up with the idea after the Michael Richards incident. Politicians like Maxine Waters are also calling for rappers to "voluntarily" stop using the word in their songs and in conversation/interviews.

Some callers pointed out that certainly the use of the word is not sanctioned at any school. Some people said that banning a word will not stop the use of it. Really, how can school officials know everytime a kid says it?

Personally, I think the whole thing is silly. I don't understand why, again, rap/rappers are being targeted. The one interesting point Kane did make about their use of the word, though, was that alot of non-blacks think it is okay to use the word (maybe not nigger, but nigga, but even still....) since rappers use it so freely. He thinks that if the word, in either form--er or a--I presume, was emitted less, less people would think about using it inappropriately. He also thinks that blacks need to ensure they are educated about the historical context of the word.

Personally, I take it as a given that even if I hear rappers using either form of the word, that doesn't give me the right to use it. I become irritated/embarrassed when white folks say "What up nigga?" or shout out the N word while singing along to some song, or even worse, when they go on diatribes about how "there are black people, and there are niggers." However, I never really considered the idea that some white people are just less educated about the word and really think rappers' uses of it validate their own casual, not necessarily racist but perhaps unnecessary or naive use of it.

In any case, I don't think that banning the word is going to stop anyone like Richards from being racist. I also think that it's ridiculous that rappers always seem to take the blame for societal ills. I think some of their focus on bling gets old and doesn't send a good message to listeners--having a lot of material goods isn't the key to happiness--but there are so many rappers that have a positive message, too. We just need to address the fact that our society is still really racist, but to me, that's certainly not a surprise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home