It's Time for the Vacillator!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I am in between classes. I am the new teacher at a new school again, and it can be frustrating. Understanding your students takes time, as each school's population differs slightly. They are slumped in their chairs and it is hard to tell whether it's because they disinterested or because they are tired, or hungry, or still feeling nervous themselves. Today was better, though. Even though people didn't speak up a lot, we got a bit of a discussion going about consumerism. I think a lot of the ideas coming up in the readings are somewhat baffling to the students, so maybe they are merely processing information. I do not think it would be good to get too pushy with this group. I think (hope) things will liven up when we talk about their papers in class, which will happen in about two weeks.

I showed them some web sites today as part of our discussion, but that didn't even seem to wake them up, the visuals. There are some smart kids in there, I can tell. I need to more patient, perhaps. Thursday I am going to show them part of a Sex and the City episode, maybe the whole thing. The one guest starring Tatum O'Neal, when Carrie's Manolos get stolen. It fits in perfectly with the unit, and hopefully will make for interesting discussion. Just have to ensure that there's not a lot of nudity or vulgarity in that episode.

As an aside, boy there's a lot of young punx attending this school. Bringing back the memories...

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home