It's Time for the Vacillator!

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I was not very engaged by A Scanner Darkly. I wanted to avoid it due to its weird animation stylings, because I'm just not nerdy enough to get excited by all that, but Robert Downey Jr lured me in. His character was the most interesting because he was so overly articulate and really his scenes were the only ones that held my attention. I had high hopes for Woody Harrelson too, but as my companion noted, "Woody didn't have much to work with." His character was just too minor. So was Rory Cochrane's (sp). That dude just played a big time Substance D dope fiend and maybe was just meant for amusement. Winona Ryder was as insipid as usual. The first I've seen of her since her infamous shoplifting breakdown. The only thing she's tolerable in is Heathers. She plays an undercover cop, as does Keanu Reeves. Keanu gets addicted to the Substance while hanging with RDJ, WH, and WR, who is actually his girlfriend. I don't think he knew she was narcing like himself until the end. I got a little lost during the last half hour or so. I was really tense watching it because the a/c was cranked so high in the theater, so maybe if I watch it again I'd get a better sense of it.

During the previews, they showed one for this movie The Road to Guantanamo (sp) and I was cringing based on the few minutes of footage I saw during the trailer. It's based on what happened to three Middle Eastern dudes a month after September 11th. I will not be watching that movie. I hate that our country is responsible for such inhumane treatment of people. Really, you will have to have a strong stomach to watch that movie. I could read about it but not watch people be treated that cruelly without becoming hysterical.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home