It's Time for the Vacillator!

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Shrill drunk 5 inch wide chick at the bar trying to push her way in between a 3 inch space between me and the boy who must have just turned 21--he really looks 16.

Reminds me of the time I pushed my way into a crowded subway car in Chicago--a Green Line train I think, no--Brown line. Because it was after work and I wouldn’t be headed west on the Green line after work. I shoved everyone with too much force. I thought I’d seen others behave similarly. I thought it was acceptable to push your way. No, I was wrong. I think you can nudge people, not push them. But for some reason I got really pissed off when the men inside shot me disapproving stares, said some shit like Calm Down. FUCK YOU! I trilled, projecting stress cued up from another 8 hours of unfulfilling work in a city that didn‘t envelop me easily.

This narrow, inebriated girl tried 2, 3 times to wedge herself in a space that would not fit even a nymph-like 9-year-old girl. I felt that specific form of irritation provoked when someone invades my personal space, the kind where my whole body goes on the defense and if I were a cat my hackles would be raised, a feeling that didn’t even emerge at Summerfest an hour previous. But I didn’t act. I knew she was all lit up, no point to succumb to irritation. I felt validated though, when the teenage looking 21 year old cried out, “Whooooaaa!!!” in a tone that did not suggest anger or irritation as much “It’s time to go!” Leave he did, with his equally fresh-faced friend. And the whiny, shrieky girl repeated to her friend, over and over, “THEY WERE LEAVING ANYWAY!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home