It's Time for the Vacillator!

Monday, August 28, 2006

had to co-lead the tutor training day. 6 hrs of sitting under fluorescent lights. i am so brain dead right now. i have energy in my brain but it's like coated over from the lights and all of the sitting. i worked out for a bit when i got home, like 45 total minutes, but i feel nuts. i have not worked anywhere full time forty hours a week since 2001. when i started my first cubicle job at LPC in Chicago after months of being on my feet 40 hrs a week at B & N, i swear i had heart palputations on the bus home the first few days. my body was in so much shock. so much running then so much sitting. i hope i get a little bit used to this. i dont like it. oh well more exercise won't hurt me either.

but i was really impressed with our tutors. a lot them havent tutored before but they honed in the characteristics of a good tutor easily (knowledgeable, resourceful, open minded, patient, punctual, student centered, good at communicating, etc) so many are so young too! it's nice to see serious students' minds at work. i love it! i felt nervous and dorking discussing 'understanding your tutee' cuz i have the adjunct's low self esteem still floating in me. but my boss and the other advisor who is about my age told me i did a great job. still things i will fix next year when i know more but ok i should breathe....day 1 is done, tomorrow is mostly my orientation as new academic staff, day 3 more tutor training but i don't have to say much, then thurs and fri syllabi creation and working on marketing the center.

maybe i should have a can of pabst. yuck. i need some $3 wine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home