It's Time for the Vacillator!

Thursday, August 17, 2006

On Tuesday I rode my bike to my favorite place, Estabrook Park. I rode down Olive St and meant to access the park via the little dirt trail carved out between the trees that you can enter off of the street instead of having to bike down to a more "official" entrance. I saw a properly attired North Shore teenage boy (white polo, brown khakis, black sunglasses, short, wavy brown hair) down there, his mountain bike thrown to the side. He was standing there, looking slighly confused and awkward, perhaps contemplative. I was going to go down there, but then he quickly jerked around, saw me, jerked back around the other way to stand in a "dude that's about to take a piss" sort of way. Clearly, he needed to pee but was unsure where to do it. I don't understand why he chose a clearing as opposed to creeping further in the woods, but that's just me. There are bathrooms in the park, too. I almost yelled that out to him, but instead I just giggled and walked my bike up to the next little in-road to the bike trail and park.

More exciting than this sighting was that of this bird:



It's a Downey Woodpecker, and boy they are cute! The one I saw was of course poking a tree, looking for bugs. They are so curious the way they move. I was just telling my friend yesterday. They spread their bodies flat on the surface, and they outturn their little legs, which are furry feather covered, and they scroll up and down the surface, side to side, up and down again. Their bodies look like a small rodent when they move that way. It's quite a sight.

This woodpecker is cool too, but I've never seen one:



Also, people, check out www.cuteoverload.com. Ridiculously adorable!

1 Comments:

  • Oh strange. I saw TWO guys peeing in public yesterday. Once on Prospect Mall and the other on BBC. (I did resist the urge to high five the BBC guy)
    Brewtown is cool, but its no Paris. I guess now it will just smell like it.

    By Blogger binarycold, at Thursday, August 17, 2006 9:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home