It's Time for the Vacillator!

Thursday, September 28, 2006

uck the Christian Right!
I am sure most of you Milwaukeeians have heard about the incident that happened over the weekend, where a rather large man punched a lesbian and a gay man repeatedly in the face because he had a problem with them being openly gay and discussing WI's impending referendum, which will ask whether or not constituents think we should weave discrimination into our state constitution by banning gay marriage or civil unions (which affect the elderly and other folks, gay or not, who are in long standing relationships).

If you haven't, go to www.jsonline.com or something. I'm sure the story is in there by now.

I saw the footage on the news Tues night and it was appalling.

Then, yesterday morning as I was rushing to work, I pulled up behind a van that held two sketchy, scary looking white dudes (that's how they looked, in their flannels with their weather-beaten, weasely looking faces). The van sported two bumper stickers. One read, "If you are a REAL Christian, you know that Abortion and Homosexuality are SIN." The other one read, "Are you a REAL Christian? I-888-YRU-REAL." (Anyone want to call that number? I sure don't!)

I was seething when I saw this bumpersticker. I understand there's freedom of expression and all that, and I have my own liberal fucking stickers on my junkheap of a car, but what the fuck is up with this SHIT? Crazy wackass religious fucks, beating people (well, ok, I don't know if dude considers himself a REAL Christian, but it's likely...) and making sure everyone knows they feel that homosexuals do not deserve equal rights.

I am getting so, so mad about the referendum. I just don't know that we are going to beat it down. There's a lot of lefties, gays, lesbians, and elderly who will go vote in opposition to it, but I think there are MORE conservative, illogical, hateful motherfuckers who are so much better at mobilizing the masses who will turn up. I think of people who are so fucking apathetic, who will not exert energy on anything that doesn't pertain to them, yet they have nothing against gays, and I am trying to think of ways to reach them without screaming my head off or being preachy. I want to talk to my classes about it too, but I am slightly wary because I am new and need this job, and a lot of the kids are conservative here. I may be underestimating them, though.

I hope those of you from WI who read this are planning on voting against the referendum (and for Doyle, too. yeah, he is a bit sketch with the campaign contributions, but Green is too, and plus Green backs the referendum, and is completley anti-woman, voting in favor of everything from illegalizing abortion to allowing pharmacists to deny birth control). And help spread the word to others you know....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home